In 1957, Art White, bought and moved the school to Bolan's mainstreet to serve as the new Bolan Store. Over the years, groceries, farm supplies, and antiques were sold out of the building. In 2007, a 11-member nonprofit organization formed and restored/rehabilitated for future use to display historic artifacts, host educational and entertaining events, and serve as a community center for the north Iowa area.
There were rural one-room country school houses one mile north and one mile south of Bolan. In 1922, the south school burned. The school board decided to rebuild a new two-room school at the Bolan corner. In October 1923 construction was underway. Anna Thon became the upper grades teacher while Agnes Torgerson taught the younger grades. Nettie Stumo was the last teacher at Baron No. 2 when it closed in 1956 with the Northwood-Kensett school district consolidation.
Comfortably seats up to 80 people.
This 18' x 10' stage curtain / advertisement banner, has 29 local businesses represented on it from the early 1940s and is on display in the upper level.
This handicap accessible, lower level of the school is available to rent for reunions, receptions, holiday dinners..
2018 Board Members: Brian Kenison
Gordy Allen Lindsay (Kenison) Severson
Marena Henkle , secretary Joe Nydegger
Tessa Bratrud Mary (Steiger) Wendt, treasurer
Connie (Olson) Bruesewitz Lori (Nydegger) Willert, chairperson
Jeff Greve Phyllis (White) Young
Shea Kruger, Nicole Schotanus, Fred Langrock, Dorothy (Weieneth) Bratrud